Friday, January 15, 2010

From Zen Moments: The Cab Ride I’ll Never Forget

Zen Moments, tells the story of a cabdriver and a fare he picked up years before and that he’ll remember for the rest of his life.

It goes like this:

Twenty years ago, I drove a cab for a living.

It was a cowboy’s life, a life for someone who wanted no boss.

What I didn’t realize was that it was also a ministry.

Because I drove the night shift, my cab became a moving confessional. Passengers climbed in, sat behind me in total anonymity, and told me about their lives. I encountered people whose lives amazed me, ennobled me, and made me laugh and weep.

But none touched me more than a woman I picked up late one August night. I was responding to a call from a small brick fourplex in a quiet part of town. I assumed I was being sent to pick up some partyers, or someone who had just had a fight with a lover, or a worker heading to an early shift at some factory for the industrial part of town…

Read the whole story at Zen Moments. A wonderful read. It made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment