Saturday, January 27, 2007

Photo workflow

Somebody at NikonCafe.com asked me about my photo workflow, so here it is. It is not the definitive answer obviously as I'm not a professional, but it works for me.

I mostly shot as JPEGs, not raw except in very few occasions.

  • I always first do a quick pass over all the series after a shoot and delete the bad ones.
  • I copy all remaining to a temp folder in a second drive.
  • Then do a second pass to analyze what's decent in more detail. Maybe delete a few more, else just archive in primary drive (I have two internals) in a folder named for the shooting locale.
  • Next copy the candidates for my gallery to a working folder.
  • Pass each one through Paint Shop Pro 9 and apply my standard changes:
  • Crop
  • Straighten horizon if needed
  • Clone out undesired areas. This is sometimes easy, sometimes a lot of work, (e.g. garbage cans, light poles, flag poles, telephone wires, etc.)
  • Noise reduction, sometimes with PSP 9 if it is a small job, other times with "Neat Image" plugin
  • Fix levels and/or add layers: 'Multiply' to darken, or 'screen' to lighten, and reduce layer opacity to suit
  • Merge (flatten) layers
  • Un-sharp mask
  • Change brightness/middle tones/contrast, if needed
  • Save the newly fixed image with the same filename and appending a letter 'a' as the first version
  • I anotherr interim version needs to be saved for further processing (like B&W), save it as version 'b' and so on
  • Candidates for B&W go through my BW actions which are generally done through Channel Mix
  • Some B&W I do through desaturation when I want to desaturate all but one color (I've done a few of those)
Then I finish by reducing size to 800 on a side for posting online and (sometimes) adding a frame and my name, which is done by another action and saved as yet another letter-version.

Sounds complicated. but all except for the cloning is very fast as it is done with actions stopping at every dialog to sometimes adjust a level, else just accepting my pre-set defaults. (e.g. Channel Mix at 43-33-33). It takes a few minutes per photo.

Once a day or so I use 'Beyond Compare' (excellent and very economical program to copy all new and updated files to the secondary drive as a backup). Every so often I burn a CD for safekeeping. I also every week or so, use Beyond Compare to copy to my wife's Hard Drive which she does not use much, and is in the home LAN (Windows XP).

No comments:

Post a Comment