Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Last two movies I've watched

I am somewhat of a movie buff. I unfortunately find most American movies made lately can be classified as crap, to put it nicely.

I rent movies from Netflix so I have something to watch every week. I have been on a quest to watch the classics that I don't remember or that I have missed since I started going to the movies in my youth.

This past week I had the pleasure to watch these two:

  • Island in the Sky
  • Witness for the Prosecution
Island in the Sky is a John Wayne movie that he made and produced in 1953 where he plays a C-47 cargo pilot in WWII that has to survive, with his crew, from a forced landing on a frozen lake in the middle of nowhere in Canada in winter. Excellent movie with a great cast, including Andy Devine, one of my favorite funny actors.

Witness for the Prosecution is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I loved it and it quickly climbed to be in my top-ten list. With a good plot, based on a book by Agatha Christie, it keeps you interested to see the conclusion. If you read the link provided and you have not seen it, avoid the "spoiler" section. And as they say in the closing credits, do not tell your friends how it ends. Wonderful acting by Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich, with a great and funny interaction between Laughton and his real-life wife Elsa Lanchester (which I found out later was famous for having played the "Bride of Frankestein").

No comments:

Post a Comment