Sunday, May 21, 2006

Art Institute of Chicago


The Art Institute of Chicago, what can I say? An excellent art museum that has some of my favorite paintings.

Though not having the time to see it all, we selected the sections that interested us the most. We were looking for specific paintings we wanted to see. We visited the American Art to 1890 Gallery, the Chinese, Japanese and Korean Galleries, Arms and Armor, Indian and Southeast Asian Gallery and of course the favorites: American Paintings 1900-1950 (I was looking for Edward Hopper), Modern and Contemporary Art, European 1800s, European 1700s and Impressionism and Postimpressionism Galleries.

These are some of the famous painting we saw:

While below in size and quality from other museums I've visited, I would have to give it a very high rating.

My Top 12 Art Museums (hard choices as I have visited many more):

  1. Museo del Prado (Madrid)
  2. Louvre (Paris)
  3. Galleria Degli Uffizi (Florence)
  4. National Art Gallery (Washington D.C.)
  5. Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York)
  6. Rijksmuseum (Amsterdam)
  7. Art Institute of Chicago
  8. Palazzo Pitti (Florence)
  9. Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Buenos Aires)
  10. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia (Madrid)
  11. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (Washington D.C.)
  12. Alphonse Mucha Museum (Prague)

No comments:

Post a Comment