Wednesday, February 06, 2019

On the closing of G+

I will be closing my Google Plus (G+) account effective March 1st, 2019.

As most of you may know, G+ is closing in April. Although it is sad to see it go, and I disagree with Google's G+ corporate actions, there is nothing we can do.

I have been posting to my blog (here in Blogger) for many years. I started originally posting on Software Development subjects, until I retired. As a hobbyist photographer with my "Photo of the Day" postings that you see here, I continued posting to Blogger daily, and will do so in the foreseeable future.

I moved my political commentary to G+  many years ago, but sadly this cannot continue. I looked at alternative outlets. I checked out MeWe and did not like it one bit. I liked and am now posting daily to Pluspora, which is the closest format  to G+ I could find, though not exactly the same layout and functionality.

You can follow me at Pluspora if you like. It is a vibrant and growing worldwide community, where many ex-G+ people hang out.

I will continue my daily photo posting to Blogger and of course to my photo website.

Comments in any of these venues are always welcome.

Unbeknownst to many, I spend most of my online time in the English Wikipedia where I have been an editor for 14 years and an administrator for 11. This work will continue .

It is sad to see Google's corporate actions on G+ but they must have their reasons to alienate a big portion of the online community. I have never been a fan of Facebook and have never opened an account (and never will). I dislike the platform, their management and policies.

I hope you all can follow me on Pluspora. Till then may you find happiness in your life!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us know about Pluspora and I shall avoid MeWe. It's sad there are so few platforms that champion free speech on the internet.

    ReplyDelete