Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Developers petition Microsoft to reconsider FoxPro phase out

Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet blogs about the MasFoxPro grassroots campaign to try to convince Microsoft to continue with Visual FoxPro or otherwise release it as Open Source.


On the heels of Microsoft's acknowledgement that it has no plans to continue development of its Visual FoxPro data-centric programming language, two Spanish Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs) have launched a campaign to try to convince Microsoft to reconsider its decision...

I personally did not sign the MasFoxPro letter as I stated my reasons publicly in the UT, mainly that I do not think it will acomplish much other than making some noise. Some people in the community are probably mad at me and I did get some comments and flak at my writings there but I still think it is a done deal and a decision we were strongly hinted at two years ago.

Mind you, SEDNA does go open source and free as I stated (pointing to Microsoft), but the request is for MS to continue updating the core product. I wish them luck in their endeavor though I don't see what it can be done about this.

In the meantime, Visual FoxPro still works and is still a great development platform and language and will continue to be so for years to come.


Link

No comments:

Post a Comment