Friday, September 10, 2010

RSS aggregator recommendation?

 

I found out today, with sadness, that my trusted Bloglines.com is shutting down on October 1st, 2010.

I have used Bloglines for years, well before Ask.com bought them in 2005. It is a free, clean interface and easy to use aggregator.

I exported all my Blogroll to an OPML file. Now I have to find a replacement. I have not had time to test, nor do I want to spend that much time into this anyhow.

I heard of:

  • AmphetaDesk
  • FeedDemon
  • FeedReader
  • NewsGator
  • Google Reader

I am looking for a simple, clean interface aggregator for Windows, and of course free. It might be better as a web interface, rather than an EXE, as it can then be accessed on the road, but that is not a killer issue. Any recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. Give FeedDemon a try. IMO it's the best feed reader for Windows. I've used it since its pre-1.0 days and it's always been a solid product. These days it's free (with unobtrusive ads) and syncs with Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rick. I installed FeedDemon and imported my blogroll. WIll use it exclusively as my new reader for a week. See how it goes. I have to get used to the (new to me) interface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex:

    I am using Google Reader. I like very much the simple interface with 2 paneles; left one with channels and right one with the items of the selected channel, so you can quickly view the titles, click the one you are interested in and it expands to show the entire news. If you want to see the page directly from the web, then you click on the big title and another page (tab) opens. It's really fast.
    Other goodies from Reader: Each feed note have on the lower border options to (i mix spanish/english here because don't know all translations) "Destacar" (the star) like Google mail, vote "I like it", "Share", "Share with note", send to email (is integrated with Google mail, so you keep it on your outbox) and you can "add labels" for fast search.
    Needn't to say that you have the search engine of Google integrated on this reader, for that notes difficult to found.
    Oh, and it have player/viewers online for most content (videos, music, etc), all without need to install anything (just maybe Flash Player).

    Try few days and give your feedback!

    Best Regards.-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I have been trying it and FeedDemon (which works well with Google Reader as it can exchange info with it).

    I like Feed Demon and have decided to keep it.

    ReplyDelete