Saturday, November 07, 2009

2009 Carl Sagan Day

I attended the first ever Carl Sagan Day, to honor Dr. Carl Sagan on the anniversary of his birthday. It was held at Broward Community College in Davie, FL ( a suburb of Ft. Lauderdale) as I blogged before.

 

It was a wonderful conference with presentations by Russell Romanella, the Director of the International Space Station, Dr. Phil Plait, better known as The Bad Astronomer and James Randi.

Mr. Romanella gave a wonderful presentation about space, the ISS, the Space Shuttle, the NASA rovers on Mars and the Hubble Telescope.

I had the pleasure of meeting Phil Plait. I have followed his blog for years, and read his latest book (which I got him to sign).

James Randi gave a nice speech recounting his friendship with Carl Sagan. I had met Randi before a few times and although older and a little more frail, he is still his old fiery self.

Here are the video feeds for some of these presentations:

Phil Plait’s presentation

James Randi speech

No comments:

Post a Comment