Friday, January 18, 2008

Bobby Fischer passing

Bobby Fischer passed away. He was a chess genius and a certifiable nut.

I vividly remember seeing him when I attended the Fischer-Petrosian match in Buenos Aires in 1971 where I lived at the time, which he won allowing him to challenge Boris Spassky for the World Championship.

That is one of the memories from childhood that I never forgot as I was a chess-enthusiast at a young age.

Update: Jason Rosenhouse has the best article and remembrance on Fischer I've read.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 AM EST

    I was deeply saddened to read this morning of Bobby Fischer's passing. I just recently had gotten "back into" chess, and like many boomers my age, Bobby was a big reason I became interested at all. He is a cultural icon who, despite his latter-year "paranoid rants", changed the face of chess forever. He was, in my opinion, the strongest player ever and in his prime, I seriously doubt even Kasparov could have beaten him.

    His anti-American and anti-Semetic remarks should be overlooked as a by-product of mental illness, which surely was the case. History, and America, should view Bobby for what he really was - the greatest chess player ever who gave this country a great boost when it needed it most. True genius is almost always misunderstood.

    RIP, Bobby, you will be missed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you. Even though I left Chess in 1976 (when I discovered the Game of GO, which I have played since), I was still fond of Fischer's game. He was one of the greatest, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete